Thursday, March 19, 2020

A Call to Arms: Let's 6:18 Against Covid 19

We are in uncharted territory. It's a new world, a new existence. In the blink of an eye, we've become a nation of homeschoolers, a world connected by instant news, streaming concerts, memes and lessons plans, curbside pickup only of our favorite nachos and beer, and rising body counts. We are the most connected we've ever been-and simultaneously, the most isolated. There is fear. Uncertainty. We wait - for an answer, for it to be over, for everything to just go back to normal. And yet we know nothing will ever be the same after this.

As a school administrator, I feel a lot of helplessness over my 410 children whose beautiful faces grace the halls of my now ghosted school. Where are they? Are they safe, warm? Are they hungry or scared? My teachers are in a holding pattern for their next marching orders, and I have little to offer. My own two children are overseas, and I can't go to them. I am powerless to change anything that is happening to the people I love the most.

 But as a woman of faith, I know there is a power I can tap into that is higher than any and all powers. I reach for answers, and I am drawn to an often overlooked, nondescript verse buried in Ephesians chapter 6, known as the Battle Chapter. In it, Paul describes to believers how to rise up and equip themselves for spiritual warfare. He uses the metaphors of a soldier's gear to encourage us to fight. Read the entire chapter for yourselves; it's motivating and will fire you up. But after all these glorious verses that get the blood pumping, there is a simple verse -the 18th- that tells us to pray for one another, to pray with all perseverance, to intercede for one another.

Here's my challenge and exhortation to you. Let us rise up against this enemy. At 6:18 a.m. and p.m., let us join together and pray as a nation, as believers, as global brothers and sisters, children of the Most High. Set your alarms every day starting today for 6:18 a.m. or p.m. or both. Drop everything for one minute and just pray. Pray for healing across our land, for families to be reconnected, for the virus to be repelled, for kindness to be scattered around like glitter, for protection of our first responders and medical personnel, for comfort for those who've lost loved ones, and for financial provision for those hit hardest.
Join me in this battle. Let's claim the power and victory that is ours--- Let's 6:18.

2 comments:

  1. Anne-I'm not a Facebooker but have a page I occasionally post things on. May I have your permission to post this? Burt Rutherford

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Burt,
      Absolutely. Just share the link to this blog. I'm also building a website: 618battle.com but it's not up yet.

      Delete